Author Topic: All I can say is ...wow!  (Read 21165 times)

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
All I can say is ...wow!
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:07:48 pm »
I have been using TI for over 2 years now but TI's launch of their Execution Consulting business has taken their business to a new level.  I had them build me a custom day trading strategy about 3 weeks ago and the results are far beyond what I expected.  It is scary, at least for me, to let a computer tell me when to buy a stock and I was reluctant to just blindly do so.

For the alerts I was getting, the stocks were already extended in a down or up trend and trying to figure out where to place a stop was almost impossible.  So for the 1st few, I would only buy a small amount just in case the trade turned horribly against me.  But that just didn't happen - every time I got in, the trade moved quickly in my favor.  It was almost as if the computer "knew" that there was further momentum to be had in the stock.

Some days, I would only get one alert, some days I would get up to 5.  Sometimes the same stock would be alerted a second time, giving another great entry.  Bottom line is that I have had around 30 alerts and have had only 2 losers.  Some of the winners have turned into scalps but most have had 0.50 to $3.00 moves.  I'm at the point now in which I don't trade unless I get one of these alerts.

I'm not naive enough to think that this strategy will work perfectly forever but I don't have to worry about that.  If it starts to not perform as well, TI will look at it and tweak it so that it should get back on track.

I can't share this strategy as it is something that I paid for but I would encourage anyone to give the TI programmers a shot in trying to create a custom strategy that meets your purposes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:13:34 pm by bbruin »

TradeIdeas1

• Administrator
  • You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold
    • Trade-Ideas
Re: All I can say is ...wow!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:20:30 pm »
We are excited it is working for you and appreciate you giving the computer a try :-)

bryan

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:44:22 am »
Any more info on this? I can't seem to find it on the site. Thanks!

beardance

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:17:03 am »
Hi Trade ideas
please email me with the details on this, i would be interested in a Canadian day trading strategy.
thanks

TradeIdeas1

• Administrator
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:40:46 pm »
We are in the process of adding this section to our website.  In the meantime send me an email to dan@trade-ideas.com and I will break down the specifics.

TradeIdeas1

• Administrator
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:11:32 pm »
Thank you to all the people who have responded.  There is a little bit of a back log now since there is so much demand.  Please continue to send requests to executionconsulting@trade-ideas.com and be patient we are working as fast as we can :-)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:12:40 pm by TradeIdeas_DA »

TradeIdeas1

• Administrator
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:57 pm »
Many of you who are working with us on the execution consulting side are asking about automation.  We have videos on this and here are couple of links showing how the automation can work.  Automation is available via TD Ameritrade, Sterling, and IB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHmgepmICec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bBacn6CiR0

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:00 pm »
For anyone who has bought a strategy or is thinking of doing so, here is something that I am doing that is allowing me to see what the possible alerts are going to be and in some cases, I have acted before actually getting the alert.

Set up a Top List and make sure you include all of the filters in the strategy as column headings.  Put an appropriate minimum value for Volume so that your Top List is not too long.  Next, pick one of your filters that is in the strategy and set a reasonable minimum for it.  Let’s say one of the filters is Current Volume and they have come up with 5.32 as the minimum value.  I would set a minimum of maybe 2 to 3 for that, so you now have 2 filters in your Top List, one for minimum Volume and one for minimum Current Volume.

Next, you can sort your Top List with Current Volume on top – you will see the ones that exceed the strategy minimum but you will also see the ones that are getting close (5 e.g.).  The minimum values in the other filters in the strategy have to be met for an alert to trigger of course but you can quickly see what they are by looking at the values in the Top List.  This allows you to get ready for an alert before it happens or take it before it does happen if you like: the pattern, the support, resistance and market direction etc.

Experiment by trying the different filters in the strategy to see what one seems to be the most important - in other words, you will be able to establish a “weighting” for each filter.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:08:32 pm by bbruin »

TradeIdeas1

• Administrator
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 10:33:28 am »
That is great for two reasons.  It is a smart thing to do and it allows you to trade around signals.  It is the best type of human interaction.  I recently found a presentation on algorithmic trading that does a great job of explaining what Trade Ideas technology is doing to help you have an advantage.  Here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V43a-KxLFcg

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
Strategy Update
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:43:39 pm »
Just thought I would post an update as to how my custom strategy is working.  The last 3 weeks have been a little slow which is understandable - the dog days of August and all that.  The strategy does require volume and if it's not there, I don't try to modify it in a big way to make it work.  But there are always days that seemingly pop out of nowhere and today was one of them.   The strategy identified BIG and GES early and turned out to be huge winners.  I think that once we are into September, I will be getting 2 or 3 quality alerts per day.

I truly believe that this strategy could last me for a long time - the basic elements of it are fundamentally sound and should not change much over time.  With a little trial and error, I have been able to tweak it a bit so that I am getting the alerts earlier without sacrificing its effectiveness.  Putting the strategy filters in a Top List helps me to do this and as the market is a little slow right now, it is the perfect time to experiment.

beardance

Re: Strategy Update
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:50:39 pm »
hi
did you trade them from the short side starting early in the day, or did you trade from the long side later?
or both?
i see these big drops all the time and am never sure which side to play them from.  I usually want to play them for a bounce but that doesn't always work.

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 10:43:07 pm »
This is a short strategy and I was actually able to enter on 2 separate occasions for both stocks.  I like playing bounces also but neither had the pattern set up for the type of bounce play that I like.

bollywoodboy

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:41:51 am »
BBruin could you possibly post the oddsmaker results for your strategy, without of course disclosing the strategy parameters

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 03:08:23 pm »
Hi .. I'm not trying to evade the question but it's not an easy answer.  I could tell you that it has a 61% win rate with an annual return of 392% if I look to make $1.00  - but by using the Optimizer, I could tell you that if I only took trades of stocks between $20 and $30, the win rate goes to 85%.  But these are moot points because I can tell you that I would never take every trade that came my way.  This is a short strategy so I would never take a trade that is close to support or take a trade if the market is ripping higher.  Just applying those two principles eliminates many losing setups.  With that in mind, my win rate - and profit return - are very high but more importantly, there is a huge confidence factor when I decide to take a trade with this strategy.  It allows me to let the trade run and not get nervous over every little pull-up or stall.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:18:45 pm by bbruin »

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »
Just an update on my Custom Strategy.  Now that October is here, I am getting more alerts -  and more powerful ones.  Today (Oct.2), I was alerted to MSCI at 10:13 at $28.49.  In the past, there was no way I would have taken that trade - it was way too extended on any time frame you want to look at.  However, because my strategy seems to "know" that the momentum will continue, it gave me the confidence to hop along for the ride.

I had other windows alerting me to the same stock, same time,  but I never would have had the confidence to take the trade based on those windows.  I think that is truly the benefit of the custom strategy - you can almost be robotic in taking the trade because the confidence level is so high.  I still check for support and resistance and it's always nice to have the market on your side but I am looking forward to the next 6 months as the markets returns to the volumes we need as day traders.