Author Topic: Trade-Ideas Pro: Alerts arriving late  (Read 11351 times)

Max

Trade-Ideas Pro: Alerts arriving late
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:39:18 pm »
I am using Trade-Ideas Pro through Scottrade Elite.

I have a scan that uses the "% down for the day" alert (set at 3%) along with a few filters. My filters are Min & Max price ($5 & $40), Max Distance from Inside Market (.01%), Min & Max Average Daily Volume (50,000 & 2,000,000), Min Today's Range (55%), and Min Up from the Close (-10%)

http://www.trade-ideas.com/View.php?O=20000000000000000000_1D_0&QPDD=3&MaxDNbbo=0.01&MaxPrice=40&MaxVol=2000000&MinFCP=-10&MinPrice=5&MinTRangeP=55&MinVol=50000&WN=3%25+Down+Stocks+1

This morning the scanner didn't report the first alert until after 9:32, but the time on the alert showed 9:30:03. All subsequent alerts were also arriving after the reported alert time, usually by 2-3 minutes.

Unfortunately, these delays make it impossible for me to implement my trading strategy, as I need to initiate a trade as quickly as possible after receiving an alert.

Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:57:20 pm by Max »

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
Re: Trade-Ideas Pro: Alerts arriving late
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:15:48 pm »
Is this the first time that it has happened?  I noticed today also (April 7,2011) that the alerts did not start coming in until maybe 9:34/5 - I was actually going to call and then they started pouring in.  But this is the 1st time that has happened tor me.

braddoubleu

• Administrator
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:43:42 am »
We are looking further into this.

Max

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »
bbruin: I have only been using Trade-Ideas for a month or so. This is the first time that I noticed this behavior.

BTW, I had the same problem on 4/8 and again today (4/11).

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:04:35 am »
OK .. happened again this morning - the alerts start at 9:30, then stop until 9:36/38 - after that, everything is normal - won't bug you guys on this - you obviously know there is a problem.

Max

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:56:26 pm »
Today, for the first time since I reported the problem, all the alerts from my scan arrived on time.

braddoubleu: If you guys fixed the issue, thanks! If not, it might be a problem with Scottrade Elite. Yesterday Elite kept crashing, so I called Scottrade and they told me to install the latest version. Usually they automatically push new versions out to the customer, but for some reason, they didn't this time. I don't know if Elite was causing the late alert issue or if today was just an anomaly and tomorrow the alerts will be late again.

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:50:30 pm »
I don't use Scottrade so at least on my machine, the problem still exists - we'll see tomorrow.

Max

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »
Today the late alert problem returned for the first time since 4/11 :(. This morning I got alerts on time for the first 1 minute of trading and then no alerts at all for 15 minutes. After that my scanners all worked normally for the rest of the day.

I guess the problem has nothing to do with Scottrade Elite, which makes sense as bbruin is having the same problem.

Chapbass

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:19:16 pm »
FYI I had this same issue as well, I'm using Scottrade Elite, I didn't get any alerts for the first 2-4 minutes, despite later looking back and several (5-8) had triggered in the first minute or so.

Also, I noticed during that period, if you go to history and untick the realtime (like you were going to look at the recent history), the whole Trade Ideas window kinda freezes up.

Possibly something with overutilization on the server when theres a dump of data right at the beginning of the day?  (I'm obviously just guessing, as I have no idea about the setup of the TI servers).

TradeIdeas_DA

• Administrator
    • Trade Ideas LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 08:51:14 am »
Here's an update:

We have purchased new hardware to deal with the load all of our new users are putting on the system.  That hardware is very powerful and slightly different from what we had before, so it is taking a little longer to set up than expected.  The problem should be fixed soon.  We apologize for any inconvenience.
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TradeIdeas

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 01:39:16 pm »
Well it's a "nice" problem to have to deal with - all those new subscribers you are getting!  I have all the confidence in the world that you will fix this problem soon.

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:41:53 am »
OK guys I know you know you have a problem - sure hope it gets fixed soon - cannot trade or zero in on the hot stocks in the 1st 10 minutes - maybe the most important time of the day.  So far 11 minutes down and counting, longest so far.

timtrader

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »
Thanks for working on it....never had a problem with your service until Friday 4/15/2011 (about 2 years without issue).  Friday scanner dead for about first 10 minutes of the open.  Today the connection indicator wasn't showing all bars, and often showed some yellow bars in the first 10 minutes  >:(

Missed some early trades because of this.  For example missed an alert that first showed up at about 9:45 Eastern Time with alert #8.....first one showing on my scanner.  I later in the day right-clicked the window, choose "duplicate" to create a dupicate window and then choose history to go back to the opening....there it was at showing at 9:33, but it had moved too far to risk getting in once I got the 8th alert at 9:45.  :-[

Please fix soon, I'm sure this must be impacting most of your clients.

Thanks.  You DO have a great product and I depend on it!!!   :)

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 10:00:59 am »
Congrats guys, it appears the problem is solved - good job.

Max

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 07:39:53 pm »
Today all alerts arrived on time all day long :). Congratulations TI techs on solving the problem!