Author Topic: Windows linking with Interactivebrokers TWS  (Read 39753 times)

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
Re: Windows linking with Interactivebrokers TWS
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 07:10:43 pm »
I have had Trade Station, eSignal and now Worden.  TS is overkill unless you are prepared to learn their Programming language, the same could also be said about eSignal - and really, with Trade Ideas, you can create the majority of Filters/Alerts that you can possibly use (imo).

Having said that, I do use TC2000 Version 12 from Worden - I think it gives you the biggest bang for the buck - $100 a month including data.  And it synchs beautifully with TI - I would have problems with eSignal and linking from time to time.  And TC2000 is only going to get better - it has recently come out of beta and more features will continue to be added.

george1978

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 06:56:38 am »
Worden TC2000 looks good but it seems to be just charting, no Level 2 or sending orders from charts etc.  Can you confirm?

That said, i do like how all stocks are easily found according to sector etc. Looks very slick and better than e-signal.  For me it is the price again. For my very part-time usage, $100 a month works out at about $25 per session!   I guess the scanning functions in TC2000 can't be that good if you need T-I too?

My focus will be on T-I for the time being. Finding the stocks seems to be the biggest hurdle for me right now. The charting package just needs to show me a chart with an EMA and let me draw S/R lines easily.  TWS works for this.

I'm in the last stages of the Autohotkey program to Externally link TI to TWS.  Not sure if i can upload a .exe file here but will try.

Barrie Einarson

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:40 am »
Well let me make one point perfectly clear - nothing compares to the TI scanning functions!

Most charting packages come with some scanning ability - Worden's is very easy to use and you can create custom scans very easily also - I use their scans as an adjunct to TI - never as a replacement.  As a day trader, I need a good visual charting program and Worded fits the bill in the most economical fashion for me.

I don't believe that you can send orders directly to a broker though they may have an affiliation with TD Ameritrade.

If you are only making 4 trades a month, then you don't need a charting package.

braddoubleu

• Administrator
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 04:53:19 pm »
We have not found any problems with the most recent release of eSignal as it pertains to linking with Trade-Ideas.  Please contact support at either support@trade-ideas.com or info@trade-ideas.com and we will walk you through the setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV0zqPik1Mc

george1978

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 05:41:29 am »
Any progress on linking TI to TWS ?

braddoubleu

• Administrator
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:45 pm »
We still have an initiative to link with IB

uminatsu

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:21 am »
Please please support TI external linking with IB TWS! Manually typing in symbols one after another is just silly...

heywally

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 08:41:39 pm »
Late to the party here.

I've found IB to be a pretty insulated company and they may well not be responsive to a request from TI to allow linking to their chart stuff. But, I have no idea.

I use IB as one of our brokers but use Ninjatrader as the charting and trading interface to IB. The nice thing about that -- assuming that NT is working well for you -- is that you can do something like set up 4 linked charts with multiple time frames in NT, set up the symbol linking in TI, see at a glance whether that trade is right for you by single clicking the symbol generated by TI and then, execute the trade right from one of your NT charts. Managing multiple trades is more challenging.

Extra expense yes, but it's tough to come up with optimal setups with one package only.

TC2000 is a great piece of software but they are slow as molasses with upgrades and have been slow to incorporate trading from the charts directly to brokers, something I see as necessary to justify the price tag for their platinum real-time package. They may not even want to be in the business of supporting that but if they ever did, I'd upgrade to platinum in a second.

TradeIdeas1

• Administrator
  • You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 07:47:05 pm »
There are a couple of issues.  We try to do global linking but unless you do it via API it is almost impossible to get it perfect.  It is almost impossible to spend the time necessary to link to every platform via API.  So we try to do it in the least offense way.  We are always trying to keep the linking working.  However it is a game of cat and mouse.  Vendors update their builds and things stop working.  This happens all of the time and we simply try to play catch up.  Linking to Java based platforms is generally more difficult than other types.  We will see if and what we can do to help both cases of Interactive Brokerage and others.  Thank you for letting us know how important it is to all of your!

Keno

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »
Are you guys/gals working on this still, seems that many customers want this to happen but its gone very quiet on this subject. Please help us link TI to IB.

braddoubleu

• Administrator
    • Trade-Ideas
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »
In order to expedite the development of linking between Trade-Ideas and Interactive Brokers, please log into your IB account and vote for the following feature request.  IB reviews this site to aid them in the prioritization of new functionality.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/poll/index.php?sid=7607

phw0ar

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 07:59:53 am »
In IB, once you enable quick stock entry (add smart/nyse;smart/island) and enable this option for the the specific page in quote monitor (doesn't work for watchlists  only quote monitors), you can link TI to the specific page in quote monitor. Group that page in quote monitor to your charts.

Now all you have to do is double click on the stock in TI TWICE. Just one extra double click and everything works.

Also See: http://www.interactivebrokers.com/php/whiteLabel/Using_TWS/quickstock.htm

I tried using some automation programs but this seems to be way easier.

sternforpres

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 01:08:06 pm »
Thanks phw0ar!  I had to uncheck "alternate method" and it worked fine. 

george1978

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:25 pm »
In IB, once you enable quick stock entry (add smart/nyse;smart/island) and enable this option for the the specific page in quote monitor (doesn't work for watchlists  only quote monitors), you can link TI to the specific page in quote monitor. Group that page in quote monitor to your charts.

Now all you have to do is double click on the stock in TI TWICE. Just one extra double click and everything works.

Also See: http://www.interactivebrokers.com/php/whiteLabel/Using_TWS/quickstock.htm

I tried using some automation programs but this seems to be way easier.

Sadly i can't get this to work with the latest TWS in Mosaic mode.

It can't be that difficult to program this into T-I can it? 

george1978

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 08:11:08 am »
ok people, i know it took a while but i created a program in AutoHotkey that links T-I to TWS. 

Its just over the 192KB limit for this forum so let me know if you want it and we can get in contact away from the forum.

thanks

Coop