Author Topic: Trade Automation with Lightspeed Platform  (Read 9418 times)

donnycf

Trade Automation with Lightspeed Platform
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:29:29 am »
Is there a video or documentation available that shows how someone with Trade-Ideas and Lightspeed can use the automated trade functionality? I haven’t been able to find anything on that topic.  I have everything connected and ready to go.

mander

Re: Trade Automation with Lightspeed Platform
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:39:50 am »
I assume, you have fixed the direct linking of Trade Ideas Pro for Lightspeed with the dedicated Lightspeed software using the gray box function and then connect in the Tools menu via Trade Ideas Brokerage Plus.

Have you also contacted your Lightspeed representative and informed them, that you would like to use the Brokerage Plus feature to automatically turn your Trade-Ideas signals into trades and therefore enabling of the trading API function on your Lightspeed Trader platform?

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJWD8zMDY8  the speaker says, that the topic of creating strategies etc. will be covered in a later video, so I think Trade Ideas is working on the automated strategies videos.

I have decided to wait a while, before I will use automated trading, so I can not provide you with any selflearned experiences.

Keep me updated, if you manage to sort it out yourself!

Cheers
Michael

Danieldan

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:26:35 am »
Hi guys,

I am also on the same page, trying to figure out how to send orders from TI to Lightspeed. I recall reading something about the graybox before but can't find it anymore.
Also, I would like to have the option to try this connection before using my live account to receive trades.
I have multiple strategies in multiple different alert windows and I don´t want all of them to fire orders to LS... but I dont find an option to limit this neither.

If someone has a link to an integration manual please let me know!

Thanks,
Dan

mander

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:05:41 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm getting closer  ;)

@Dan: concerning the gray box. I also didn't have the gray box function enabled in Lightspeed, so I wrote an email to my representative at Lightspeed asking for this. Trade desk then enabled it very quickly (good service). Just watch the video in my other thread for instructions concerning selection of LightspeedBridge.dll in the gray box.

I have now sorted out, that if you perform all the instructions in the video, connect to Lightspeed, select New - Strategies Tab and then right click on for instance the long strategy and select "New Trading Strategy", then one can configure a total strategy with all options incl. the very important: Send orders for a symbol at most once per day or Stop after filling 1 order :-) (see attached picture).

One can also select account (acct), which is default set as default. It's my assumption, that this can be used for test, because the account can be changed to the actual Lightspeed account and thereby live trades (be careful!).

What I'm not totally sure of is, if I besides asking Lightspeed to enable the gray box function also need to inform them, that I would like to use the Brokerage Plus feature to automatically turn my Trade-Ideas signals into trades and therefore enabling of the trading API function on the Lightspeed Trader platform. I'll write Lightspeed and ask about this.

Keep me posted if you decide to move on with live trades :-)

Cheers Michael
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:08:22 pm by mander »

mander

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:40:23 pm »
Hi again guys,

Once interested, I try to work fast :-)

Just been in contact with the Trade Desk at Lightspeed. They told me, that after I requested Gray Box enabled on the Lightspeed Platform, I'm ready for trading via Trade-Ideas. They also told me, that there will be a webinar on the 12th of March concerning Trade-Ideas - Brokerage Plus. If you're a regular customer at Lightspeed, I'm pretty sure, you'll receive an invitation via email.

I have now created my first automated strategy: Opening Range Breakouts in Strong Stocks (see attached pictures), and I think, I'll try it out with one trade tomorrow :-)

Cheers
Michael

mander

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »
Hi again Guys,

On Friday I performed my first automated trade with the above strategy in CRS. It went well concerning all the technicalities, but the trade itself gave me a small loss due to the friday Ukraine induced late day sell off  ;D No problem!

So basically everything works fine and a basic step by step guide is as follows:

1. Download the TI Brokerage Plus software here: http://www.trade-ideas.com/lp/lightspeed.html and install
2. Watch this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJWD8zMDY8
3. Open Lightspeed Trader software and clarify, whether you have the gray box function enabled
4. If yes configure the LightspeedBridge.dll as gray box API connection between TI and Lightspeed according to the video in 2
5. If no contact your Lightspeed representative and ask them to enable Gray Box function. When done perform no. 4 according to the video in 2
6. Open TI Brokerage Plus and select Tools - TI Brokerage Plus and select Disconnected and select Lightspeed - Connect. Then this should turn green and you're connected
7. Select New - Strategies. Right click in the picture and select New Trading Strategy
9. Make a Trading Strategy
10. Right click on the strategy and select Strategy Disabled - click to Enable
11. Your trading strategy is now in operation and waiting to fire the first signal via the Lightspeed API
12. Congratulations :-)

Good luck and remember, there will be a Lightspeed Webinar on the 12th of March 2014.

Cheers
Michael
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:53:58 pm by mander »

Danieldan

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 08:07:51 pm »
Hey Michael! That is a great tutorial, thanks for taking the time to summary it up.

On Friday I talked to my account exec at LS and he told me he would enable my account for API access, but I don't see the New->Gray Box option yet so I will check this first thing tomorrow morning and give them a call.

I am looking at strategy config window in TI Brokerage Plus. You mentioned the "Stop after filling ... orders" option... but, is this an order counter for the whole strategy or per symbol? It seems like total orders for the day to me, and sounds like a good safety net in case the strategy goes nuts.

I have developed a strategy based in a break out idea and got good results in last month OddsMaker indicators. This generates between 2-15 trades/day. First thing i want to do is run it for a full session and then comparing the real results with oddsmaker for the same day in order to confirm its reliability.

Are you using limit orders? I will.. not sure about the offset setting--as this is a breakout system, but.. i will start with 0.

Have a good trading week everybody!

Dan.

mander

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 04:18:56 am »
Hi Dan,

Great - you found my description useful - thanks :-)

That's right - after log out and log in, you should be able to find Gray Box. If not, then someone disturbed the Trade Desk guy at LS whilst configuring your account :-)

I tested the "Stop after filling x orders" on Friday. It works fine. It is a full stop for the strategy and not just for one symbol (that is the other function "Send orders for a symbol at most once per day "). I watched it live on the screen. I activated my strategy at 11.15 on Friday. At 11.16 an order for CNC was sent to Lightspeed as a limit order. It was not filled. Then at 11.17 a new signal was sent from TI to buy CRS - still with a limit order. It was filled almost instantly and orders to sell (target and stoploss) was sent instantly according to the strategy. After that the order to buy CNC was cancelled quite fast, but I wouldn't call it instantly, so I have a small fear, that in some rare situations, one might experience purchase of another symbol (with hyperactive strategies).

But - after this cancel - no other orders was sent to LS, so I consider it succesful.

As you can see above, I have also started out with limit orders in order to initially try to avoid slippage.

Good idea with the test with Oddsmaker. I'll do the same. I think we will see a difference, because Oddmaker operates with instant market order, when alert(s) = 1, but possibility of adjusting with the slippage factor. So my initial view is, that if we use limit orders, we will not get filled on all the trades indicated by the Oddsmaker - especially on daily high volume fast breakout strategies, but on the ones that get filled, we will have no slippage, so maybe it is a win-win situation - we'll see :-)

Let's stay in touch and happy trading!

Cheers
Michael

P.S. Be careful in the market this week with the situation in Ukraine (shorting strategies or sit on hands could be preferable).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:20:43 am by mander »